Customer Service

Stromag
+49 (0) 2303 102 0

Stromag - SIME Brakes
+33 (0)1 49 90 32 20

info@stromag.com

Without a past, the future is inconceivable: our milestones since 1932

Our company can look back on a long history of success. From the very outset, we have recognised the needs of the market, utilised new technologies in the development of our products, and supplemented the skills of our employees. Over the course of the years we have applied for over 400 trademark rights and been granted over forty valid patents. Now as then, we apply our pioneering spirit and great personal commitment to the fulfilment of our customers' wishes.

2016

Altra Industrial Motion Corp. acquires Stromag.

2011

Integration of the Sinter business unit from Sundwiger Messingwerk GmbH & Co KG

2010

Foundation and expansion of Stromag Korea Ltd.

2009

Foundation and expansion of Stromag Taicang China and Stromag WEP (Wind Energy Products)

2008

Foundation and expansion of Stromag India and SIME USA

2007

The Stromag Group is taken over by the investment company Equita

2004

Launch of the efficiency enhancement programme FIT for safeguarding and advancing the Unna location. Every year up to the present day, there have been various teams dealing with a wide range of tasks, e.g. production cost savings, tooling and delivery time optimisations, health promotion, etc.

2000

Design, manufacture, and delivery of the largest hydraulic marine clutches ever built, delivering torques up to 2.2m newton metres; patent application submitted. In December, Stromag takes over SIME, the French world market leader for industrial disc brakes. In 2007 it is renamed Stromag France S.A.S.

1996

Start of entrepreneurial commitment in Asia.

1993

Stromag is reorganised from a GmbH (limited liability company) to an AG (joint stock company). In the same year it takes over Kupplungs- und Bremswerk Dessau GmbH in Saxony-Anhalt, which from 1995 operates under the name Stromag Dessau GmbH.

1980

One milestone in the development of textile machine drives in the eighties involvs electromagnetically controlled friction processes on clutches and brakes. This technology is later superseded by digital servo drive systems with VeCon control electronics.

1970

Stromag engineers develops the highly flexible rubber elements for the (GE) coupling on internal combustion engines. At the same time, the internal calculations department is set up for analysing and designing flexible couplings. Other R&D findings are hydrostatically bearing supported oil conducts for hydraulic multi disc clutches.

1968

Stromag delivers gigantic cable trolleys for the world's largest gantry crane.

1960

The department Electronic Control Systems is set up.

1959

The setup of Stromag SA France marks the beginning of a phase of expansive commitment abroad, including the integration of new production locations: from 1961 to 1981, fifteen other subsidiaries are set up in Europe and overseas.

1958

On its 25th anniversary, Stromag has about 700 employees on its payroll.

1953

The first branch in Austria is founded.

1951

The new electromagnetic single disc clutch is launched. In Chicago, the Periflex® coupling is unveiled to the American market; there follows further commitment at trade fairs both at home and abroad, and there is considerable growth to exports.

1939

Launch of the Periflex® couplings

1938

Multi disc clutches are developed and produced.

1937

Over a hundred employees are on the Stromag payroll.

1935

Stromag takes on its first apprentices.

1934

The business unit for electric crane accessories is expanded with spindle limit switches.

1933

Stromag moves from Dortmund to the production locations of the liquidated clutch maker Schwarz in Unna, and starts production of clutches.

1932

Company foundation in Dortmund as Stromschienen und Apparatebau GmbH, or Stromag GmbH for short. The plans are for manufacturing conductor rails and electric crane material.